Sunday 10 April 2016

Wix - Building My Own Website


http://talk2meenglish.wix.com/lessons


I am rather proud to announce that I have just finished building my very own website.  


About a year ago, I decided, that in addition to my blog, I needed a website.  I wanted to have a calling card for my business and a website for my clients.  I wanted to clearly define and promote the courses that I offer, and provide an easy to use online booking system.  

Initially, I thought it would be worth investing money and paying a professional to create the website, then I discovered how much they charge.  I did some research and learned that there were a number of website building platforms, I chose WIX.  From the reviews, Wix is user-friendly, it offers a free plan, gets the most online searches, has a good selection of designs, and a mobile editor.  For anyone thinking about building a website, the mobile editor is absolutely essential.  It enables you to preview how your website is viewed on a mobile device.  What works on a computer screen often does not work on the screen of a tablet or a mobile. It is crucial to be able to edit the mobile view and check in advance that your design works on different devices.



Mobile View Of My Website




I must admit that although Wix is very user-friendly, building the website was not as easy as I thought it would be. To my great disappointment my first attempt was a scruffy disaster, it looked extremely homemade.  I became frustrated and gave up.  About two months later, I returned for a second go.  I watched tutorials, read 'how-tos' and with a lot of trial and error, grasped how to add, remove and adapt each element on each page. This time, I found a more suitable design and things just fell into place.  

There are so many tiny details that need to be thought about when creating a website. Choosing the design and colour scheme is the fun part, adding the content is more challenging. It is necessary to have a very clear idea of your brand, your niche, your clients' requirements, your prices and what exactly you are offering.  When I started my blog I began fine tuning my business; the process of creating my website has taken this a step further.  I can honestly say that Talk2Me English is no longer just a teacher's blog, it is an established business and it feels great!

I'm sure that the website still needs some work doing to it.  I plan on adding a video or two at some point, but for the meantime, I can finally go back to sleeping at night.  




Please feel free to comment, I appreciate any feedback.  If you are a Google+ member please comment below. If you're on Facebook please message me there and of course, you can always send me an email: emma_segev@yahoo.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.